Saturday, October 10, 2015

Project 2 Outline

In this blog post, I will present and outline of my second project, and also touch on some helpful advice from Writing Public Lives.

"Project Outline" (via circles4). 
The most helpful piece of advice in "The Sections of the Paper" section is the introduction because it was the part I was most unsure about. The writing advises that you leave the bulk of the paper to analyze the rhetorical strategies, and use the introduction to give just enough background on the topic. Another good piece of advice is to develop an analytical claim. A paper will be boring if you just state facts. There needs to be a little bit of controversy in the paper in order for your reader to find it interesting.

Introduction: I will start by addressing the broad section of the prompt, which is the idea of teaching a student who is new to your college how someone in our field makes a public argument, and how they do this rhetorically. This will be mostly be done by showing my paper as an example of how to rhetorically analyze. I will also touch on the background of the article: author, context, audience, so on.

Thesis: My thesis statement will be towards the end of my first or second paragraph. I have decided that I want to use the second, more detailed thesis that I wrote in the previous post.

Paragraphs (including analytical claim): I'm thinking about making my analytical claim revolve on the strict opinion of the author, and her one-sided argument. My paragraphs will probably be shorter, and I want to use each major topic as a paragraph, and the smaller paragraphs that follow will give textual support. Definitely a more complex and interesting body style instead of (like mentioned in class) paragraph 1-pathos, 2-ethos, 3-logos.

Conclusion: Like the reading says, I do not just want to re-run my essay points to pull it all together. I think that my conclusion will be touching back on the idea that you're explaining to a new student. I would like to end with some advice or tips to leave my reader with.

Reflection: After reading Stef's Blog and Joy's Blog. I definitely saw a wide variety from the two. Stef's outline was much more detailed than mine, and Joy's was much less detailed. I think that the more detailed the outline is, the easier it will be to write the rough draft.

2 comments:

  1. I think that you have a very outline and have a good idea and plan to write your paper. You have closely followed "Writing Public Lives" and how they laid out thesis, introduction, body, and conclusion. It gives the reader an understanding on the situation which will put the rhetorical strategies into context for them. Great outline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally have the write idea for your paper and I love how much you've taken the reading to give direction to your paper. However, the outline is somewhat vague. I would have liked to have seen more specifics, especially in the body. You may find that if you don't know the major points you are going to discuss and how they all relate back to the thesis, you will quickly run out of things to say. Even if you have your ideas in your head, try getting them down on paper to make sure they all align in supporting your thesis.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection on Open Letter Draft

In this blog post, I will reflect on the feedback provided by my peers on my final project. I reviewed  Grace's  letter and  Aaron's...