Thursday, October 1, 2015

Analyzing Rhetorical Strategies in Chipotle Article

In this blog post, I will analyze the rhetorical strategies used in Chipotle Sued Over GMO-Free Advertising.

"Ethos, Pathos, Logos" (via BlendSpace).  
This article builds trust with the reader by using examples, and hyperlinking to outside sources. The article uses quoting from the sources to gain trust. For example, the author quotes Chipotle directly, "Chris Arnold, a Chipotle spokesman, points out that the company has “always been clear that our soft drinks contained GMO ingredients, and that the animals from which our meat comes consume GMO feed.” But, he continues, this "does not mean that our meat is GMO, any more than people would be genetically modified if they ate GMO foods.” (via Slate). The use of sources and information allows the reader to believe what the article says, and directing to outside sources builds credibility because the reader could go out and  further explore the topic. 

This article appeals to emotion because it is about people like you and me, and when things pertain to the reader, they care more. For example, they repeat "Non-GMO," which makes you think about your own safety. Also, the article states, "So as long as you're worried, they're happy to reassure" (via Slate). The use of the words "happy" and "worried" definitely draws out emotion, which makes the reader question their own feelings. 

Logos is used in this article by using hard facts. As mentioned above in the Ethos section, the author does not leave out any hyperlinks or quotes. The article also uses clear transitions, and logical paragraphs, which add to the logos aspect. There aren't really any historical records that would apply to this argument, because Chipotle hasn't been around for that long. The article does a good job of applying logic, because there is a court case in question, which is where most logic comes in to play.  

I read Bailey's Blog and Grace's Blog. My peers have articles that vary in rhetorical strategies. An article is most effective when it is well-rounded, because it is believable in more ways than just one. I learned that a most articles will touch on each one, but have a central focus, which may depend on the genre.

6 comments:

  1. Very good use of quotes. I liked the idea of how personal this issue could be, but I think you could have gone deeper into the emotional analysis to help us understand what you think better. After reading your Logos paragraph I felt like we both ran into the same problem, which was our texts not having nearly enough history or facts to draw on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Logos was the most effective strategy for your text becasue of the use of sources and hard facts ,the most lacking strategy would be Pathos because even though certain words can trigger emotional responses, to me , in my opinion those words wouldn't make me think about my own safety rather it just makes me wonder what gmo and non gmo taste like , if there's a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like your article didn't use a whole lot of emotional appeal. It relied more on the other two rhetorical strategies. Although you touched on some of the bulleted points in the Student's Guide reading, it seems like you might be able to address more. Good job overall, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it was good that you used such direct quotes in your explanation of the ethos, pathos and logos. It's also interesting that the author of your article does not use direct quotes or any hyperlinks. I think it was good that you were able to analyze that. I had a similar problem with historical facts, due to the fact that my issue regarding gene engineering is somewhat new. To me it seemed ethos was a good type of logic used in your article and it really worked to bolster up the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like you made a good use of direct quotation! However, I think everything needed some more development. Personally, I think that if you did not quote, you might have been able to develop your topic more. You addressed all of the parts in the reader's guide. However, there could have been more analyzed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also thought your direct quotation was awesome! I think that you could have gone deeper into analyzing though. Other than that, it was well done.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection on Open Letter Draft

In this blog post, I will reflect on the feedback provided by my peers on my final project. I reviewed  Grace's  letter and  Aaron's...