Wednesday, September 9, 2015

QRGs: The Genre

In this blog post, I will explore the genre of Quick Reference Guides. I will go over conventions, purpose, and usage.

Hispanic Market Advisors, August 2010.

Conventions of this genre include: subheading, photos/illustrations, short paragraphs, posed questions, hyperlinks, and social media.

The author makes the QRG their own by formatting the article in a certain way. The subheading could be a crazy color, bold lettering, italics, etc. The photos could be graphs, pictures at events, drawings, or stock images. The paragraphs can be broken up under subheadings, only one sentence, separated by photos, or put into bullets or numbers. Questions can predict what the reader was thinking, or they can be questions that the reader didn't know to ask.

The conventions can easily be over-lapped too. For example, your subheading may be a question, or your photos may be screen grabs of social media.

The purpose of a QRG is to appeal to a common internet audience. These are people who want to stay current and up-to-date, without reading a scientific journal. The QRG is a pretty informal way of posting an easy read.

The internet audience is a wide variety of people. Of course, different QRGs are read by different people. It tends to be the general population, and most of the time QRGs are read for pleasure, and that is why they are made into such visually appealing articles.

The QRGs often have many photos so that the text can be broken up, and also so that people can actually see photos of what the article is about. If you were reading a QRG about the Video Music Awards for example, it wouldn't be very interesting if you didn't  see who was there, what they wore, etc.

The QRG is a very common type of online article and is meant to inform the reader in a very appealing way.

I read Stef's blog, Chris' blog, and Carrie Belle's blog. I think that the review that we did in class was really worth it, because it seemed as though everyone knew the QRG genre pretty well! One thing that my classmates did that I didn't think of, was to talk about the QRGs that we looked at in class.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like you touched on all topics of the QRG very well. Personally when I was doing mine, I didn't list out every method we went over in class, and instead just talked about a few references. Your path is better, because I imagine if someone who wasn't in our class read the blog, they could grab a better understanding from your post than mine! Your blog post also flowed very well, it was very easy to follow. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a good overview of what a QRG is. It matches the few QRGs we were looking at very well. I would challenge the fact that there is a common internet audience, I just think that is too broad of an idea. Cool post overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you immediately addresses the conventions in your lead. Its very helpful to see right off the bat what the post of going to be about! I like how you added that customization by the author plays a big role in QRGs, that was something that I left out.

    My only point of contention is that I think the QRGs are meant for more than scientific subjects. I think you alluded that QRGs are meant to save people from reading scientific journals, but beyond that I think they're just to save people from having to read or investigate any other source (including major media sources, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was super similar to mine! You're right about our class discussion being super helpful! I agree with Alex on how they make any source simpler. However, it just indicates that you personally are reading a lot about science. This was very well written. It wasn't too short or too long. You had everything :)

    ReplyDelete

Reflection on Open Letter Draft

In this blog post, I will reflect on the feedback provided by my peers on my final project. I reviewed  Grace's  letter and  Aaron's...