Thursday, September 10, 2015

Extra Credit: Putting Quotes in Context

In this blog post, I will go over the context of two quotes said by celebrities.

Quote 1: "I’m constantly amazed by the number of people who want to take my picture” (Ruth Bader Ginsberg)

This is what Ruth said in response to the question asked by reporter, Jeffery Rosen, "How do you feel about becoming an internet sensation?" The interview was with the website New Republic, and was published September 28th, 2014.

The context of Ruth responding to the question allows the reader to know that she doesn't just think she is the most popular woman. The article explains how she has a cult following, and it wasn't something that she asked for. If the quote was taken out of context, the reader could believe that she was being narcissistic. 

Knowing that Ruth was taken by surprise by her number of fans allows me to see her more as humble. Having her picture taken all the time was something that she didn't really expect, but it joyed by it. It allows me to see her as a simple woman who is just doing her job. 

Quote 2: "In general, I’m not afraid. I tend to be more reckless; I act without weighing the consequences. Sometimes that causes me headaches because an extra word slips out here and there” (Pope Francis).

This is what The Pope said when reporter Juan Berretta, from the website Aleteia, asked him what he was afraid of. The interview was conducted May 27th, 2015.

The Pope was asked what he was afraid of after explaining that he often has emotional topic to deal with as Pope. Knowing the context helps the reader understand that The Pope wasn't exactly talking about being a wild party animal, or anything like that.

Knowing the quote in context made me view The Pope as a man who doesn't think that he's perfect, and that's really how a man in that position should view himself. If, for example, Kanye West said that he was not afraid and reckless, you would think that he was cocky, but when The Pope says it, it's kind of a different story.



1 comment:

  1. Keep in mind, this needed an image. But I've applied this to Blog Post 1.10 in D2L.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection on Open Letter Draft

In this blog post, I will reflect on the feedback provided by my peers on my final project. I reviewed  Grace's  letter and  Aaron's...